Skip to main content

Morning Market




"Morning Market"
13x10.5
Watercolor on paper




This painting is based on the farmer’s market in my neighbourhood. I love this place especially for its vitality. If you are depressed on any given day, walk through this small stretch set aside only in the morning and you quickly forget your troubles (besides never walking out empty handed!). It is a feast for the senses with all the local produce that abounds. In the early morning, the warm glow of the Roman sun hits the stalls and slowly illuminates the day’s offerings. I strive to capture this feeling in my work.

The painting challenged me primarily because of the strong contrast of light and the sharp perspective. I tried to harmonize the work as much as I could through color, trying not to make it appear too busy because of all the various mounds of fruits and vegetables. I also had difficulty with my reference photo because so much of it is in shadow. For larger areas, I normally use masking tape to protect the whites - this time the tape really stuck to the paper. I’m not sure if it’s the paper or the tape, something I will need to experiment with.
Thank you for taking the time to visit!

Comments

  1. Thank you for your encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your paintings are lovely. Nice personal touch to them. I like the perspective on this one.
    Happy Painting and Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nora, I'm flattered by your nice comment! Thank you for following!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely painting! Great colours!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

African Violets

 African violets sketchbook page I painted this sketch slowly, over a few day's time.  I use my sketchbook to experiment towards improving my skills although I seem to always find myself in a hurry to finish the sketches. It took my African Violets over two years to bloom, I felt compelled to capture this achievement! The flu is making the rounds around my household once more, I hope everyone else is well!

Flying Colors

"Flying Colors" 28.5 x 20cm / 11" x  8"in.  I love the color of this blue jay's feathers and its stance, so graceful ... the various blues were hard to imitate. I am working on leaving more white areas in my painting and loosening up a bit. Thank you to Mim White for allowing me to use her photo! When I saw her photograph, I immediately imagined it as a watercolor painting.

Pansies

 Pansies with Lemon  watercolor on cold pressed Daler Rowney paper  10" x 10" / 25 x 25 cm.  Available I wished to paint the happy faces of the pansies I planted earlier in the fall. They are hardy plants, lasting through the winter on my balcony. Soon I will have to pull them out and replace them with petunias or begonias, but not for another month. I love the different shades of purple and had fun mixing my own. I hope everyone is having a nice week!