Skip to main content

Pushed by the Wind-plein air painting

"Pushed by the Wind" watecolor on paper 8" x 12"/ 20 x 30 cm
I was back painting plein air at my favorite beach spot this weekend. I tried to narrow down the focus on the enormous clouds and the water. The kitesurfers were out trying to catch the waves, driven by the wind. It's a very daring sport. I threw the surfer in at the last moment while he stood still for a moment.There are a lot of varying colors in this landscape. It always makes me think back to my painting teacher's lessons. When painting landscapes,  avoid the sky is blue, grass is green approach. Painting what we think we know but not what is actually in front of us. I saw every part of the landscape was the color it was not "supposed" to be. The ocean, for instance, had an array of colors. In the distance there were turquoise and blues. As it came nearer it changed to purples and the browns-reflecting the sand below. The sky seemed yellow and violet, the sand green. I tried to fight the feeling that it wasn't going to "look right". This was my attempt for the day.

Thank you for viewing!
I acquired my husbands old work bag from L.L. Bean, I love it becaus it has so many pockets and zippers!



Kitesurfer


Comments

  1. A truly spectacular sky! Nice work Celia. Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tito for your kind and encouraging comment! Your landscapes make it look easy and it's not!

      Delete
  2. I think this is a very good approach to keep in mind , avoiding the 'sky is blu,grass is green ' is something I will remember ! And you certainly made good use of this knowledge ! The painting is interesting and colorful and not at all 'banale' , well done Celia !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane, your works never are and something I strive for. Your nice comment means a lot to me!

      Delete
  3. Me gustan tus colores, Celia. Transmiten emociones.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celia, you have really captured the drama and power of the wind beautifully in your painting in a way that the photo hasn't shown. Lovely colours and very atmospheric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! I always appreciate your insightful and kind comments!

      Delete
  5. Un cielo stupendo, di grande effetto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Celia! I love this watercolor!
    Wild and very colorful! I love the spontaneity!
    This piece is exciting and dramatic!
    Bravo! Well done!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael, thank you for your feedback and kind words! You brought a smile to my face!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Rose Aglow

A Rose Aglow watercolor sketch on paper 18 x 26 cm

The rose in this painting is situated in front of my daughter's high school. As I was walking past it, the sun was hitting it in a way that made it seem it was glowing with a beautiful mix of yellows and pinks.  I recently purchased some paints from the Ecoline liquid watercolor line. I enjoyed playing here with the pleasant intensity they possess. With this type of liquid ink there is the possibility of degradation of its properties over time, I will keep it for sketching purposes only.



 work in progress

If Life Gives You Lemons

 IF LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS watercolor on Fabriano Artistico paper 30 x 23 cm available
Now that it is summer, Amalfi lemons are in season at my local market. They are grown on the hills of the Campania  region, around Sorrento and Amalfi. They have a characteristic sweetness, a consequence of the volcanic soil, year-round warm temperatures, and perfect amounts of rain.

After rinsing the lemons, I set them on a kitchen towel to dry. As I went about, I would pause often to take in the soft delicate pastel colors. My purpose became to convey the soft light that comes in, with many variations of whites and neutrals to highlight the sunny yellow skin of the lemons.

It has also been helping me to do a warm up sketch before painting. I keep this sketch beside me to test colors before actually applying them.

 my warm up sketch
When all of this is over, I have a whole book of baking recipes devoted to the fragrance of these lemons ... I need to get to work!


Oatmeal Lemon Bars








The Mending

The Mending watercolor on paper 20 x14 cm The inspiration for my painting is loosely based on a photo from an on-line art friend for our monthly art challenge. The tomato pin cushion brings back warm memories of my grandmother who always lovingly mended everything on demand for us. Basic sewing skills can be crucial to important relationships.